|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 8 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 8 hr 30 mins|
Beef plate short ribs or boneless short ribs
Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce
12 oz pineapple juice
4 oz soy sauce
¼ cup sesame oil
2 cups brown sugar
½ yellow onion, diced
2 oz ginger, peeled
2 oz garlic cloves
Cornstarch slurry for the sauce (equal parts cornstarch and water)
Salt, to taste
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp black pepper
3 tsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 cups mayonnaise
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 heads cabbage, thinly sliced
1 pineapple, diced
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a blender and pulse until the ginger, garlic, and onions and well incorporated. Reserve 1/3 of the marinade for the sauce.
- Pour the rest of the marinade over the ribs (make sure they are fully covered with marinade). Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 days.
- Preheat smoker or grill.
- Pour off the marinade from the ribs and discard.
- Smear the ribs with yellow mustard then evenly sprinkle the other ingredients over the ribs and pack down gently.
- Smoke the ribs for 8-10 hours. If they are tender after 8 hours, you are done. If they need longer, place on a sheet pan (crust side up) with one cup of water, cover with butcher paper, then wrap the pan with foil and cook in the oven at 275°F until the meat is tender. (The water will evaporate.)
- Simmer the reserved marinade until the ginger, garlic, and onions have softened.
- Thicken with a bit of cornstarch slurry. You can serve this sauce on the side or use it to glaze the ribs.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, if desired.
- Pineapple Coleslaw
- For the pineapple coleslaw, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, mix in the shredded cabbage and diced pineapple. Toss until well coated.