|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 15 mins|
2 lbs tri tip
3 tbsp salt
3 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
Pickled Red Onions
1 large red onion
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp sugar
Toasted brioche buns
- Combine the vinegar, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-heat and bring to simmer.
- Thinly slice the red onions and place in a bowl or mason jar.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions and stir to combine. Refrigerate overnight.
- Cover tri tip with olive oil and rub with dry ingredients.
- Smoke the tri tip at 225°F degrees until the internal temperature reaches 115°F (about 45 minutes).
- Remove from the smoker and sear the tri tip over direct heat around 500°F degrees until an internal temperature of 125-130°F degrees is reached.
- Remove the tri tip, wrap in foil, and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Spread some mayo on the toasted buns, pile some sliced tri tip on there, top with pickles, BBQ sauce, and pickled red onions. Dig in!