|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 36 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 36 hrs 20 mins|
1 skin-on, pork belly
Toasted ciabatta bread
Your choice of toppings, we like a picante provolone cheese and sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic
¼ cup salt
3 garlic powder
3 tbsp fennel seed
3 tbsp dried rosemary
2 tbsp chili flakes
2 tbsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients for the dry rub in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the pork belly, skin-side down on a large baking sheet. score the pork belly and rub generously with the dry rub (about 1 tbsp per pound).
- Roll the pork belly up tightly and tie with butcher’s twine.
- Refrigerate for 1 day to let the seasoning really soak in.
- Sous vide the pork belly at 155°F for 36 hours. (No sous vide? This can be done in the oven or on a smoker.)
- When done, remove from the sous vide, pat the skin dry, and deep fry until the skin is super crispy. (If you can’t deep fry the whole thing at once, heat a few inches of oil in a large pot and cook for several minutes on all sides.)
- Drain on paper towels, and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Thinly slice the porchetta and serve on toasted ciabatta rolls with your choice of toppings. (Try it with provolone picante and sautéed broccoli rabe!)