|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 50 mins|
6 lbs pork belly, skin on
4 lbs center-cut pork loin, trimmed and butterflied
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper or chili flakes
- Combine the fennel seeds and peppercorns in a small skillet. Toast over medium heat until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Be sure to stir often so they don't burn.
- Remove from heat and cool. Transfer to a spice grinder and pulse until finely ground. (You can also use an old coffee grinder or hand grind with a mortar and pestle.)
- Place the ground spices into a small bowl and add the parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Season both the pork belly and pork loin with 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt and half of the rub.
- Tightly roll the pork loin into a cylinder.
- Roll the pork belly, skin side out, around the rolled pork loin. Tie with butcher's twine at 1-inch intervals.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon kosher salt with 1 teaspoon baking soda. Rub the mixture all over the pork skin and refrigerate, uncovered, for 24-48 hours.
- Before roasting, allow the meat to rest at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat smoker, grill, or oven to 500°F.
- Roast the porchetta for 20 minutes at 500°F then lower the temperature to 275°F and continue cooking for about 2 hours, until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
- Remove from the smoker or oven and increase the heat back to 500°F.
- Return the porchetta to the smoker or oven for 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin. (Watch carefully or it will burn.)
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the twine, slice, and serve!