|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 50 mins|
Homemade Turkey Stock
Leftover turkey carcass
1 yellow onion, quartered
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt, black peppercorns, allspice, to taste
16 cups water
Leftover turkey meat, cut into bite size pieces (I like to use dark meat)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups homemade turkey stock (see above)
Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 cup diced celery
½ cup white wine
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 ½ cups sliced cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
1 bay leaf
3 fresh sage leaves
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 cups precooked barley
- Combine all ingredients for the stock in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, and strain through a large piece of cheesecloth or a clean flour sack towel.
- To make the soup, heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the turkey stock and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the celery, white wine, and carrots and give it a stir.
- Add a splash of olive oil and the leftover turkey. As soon as it starts to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the mushrooms, bay leaf, sage, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Stir in the precooked barley and let simmer for a few minutes until it's heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: This soup freezes beautifully! Let cool completely before transferring to freezer safe containers for storing.