|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 10 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 25 mins|
1 bone-in, pork loin roast, about 3-5 lbs
6 cups water
2 sheets Kombu (dried seaweed)
2 cups bonito flakes
½ cup kosher salt
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp rice vinegar
4 cups ice
2 tbsp white miso
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- In a large pot (big enough to hold the pork), combine the water and Kombu and let stand for about 15 minutes, until the Kombu has softened.
- Cook over high heat for about 8 minutes then remove from heat and stir in the bonito flakes. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Use a strainer to strain out the solids and discard.
- Stir in the honey, black pepper, vinegar, and ice. Stir until most of the ice has melted.
- Add the pork to the brine and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. (I like to do between 16-18.)
- Remove the pork from the brine, pat it dry, and place bone side down on a roasting rack. Return to the fridge, uncovered, for 4-12 hours.
- Preheat smoker or oven to 250°F. Remove the pork from the fridge and let come to room temp, about 45 minutes.
- Roast the pork until an internal temperature of 135°F is reached, usually about 2 hours.
- Remove from the smoker/oven and let it rest for a few before glazing.
- Increase the smoker/oven temperature to 450°F.
- Whisk the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl and spread all over the pork loin.
- Return the pork to the smoker/oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Carve it up and enjoy!