|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 25 mins||TOTAL TIME: 45 mins|
1 package orecchiette, elbow macaroni, ziti, or pasta of your choice
2 shallots, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
2 cups water
¼ cup raw cashews
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
3 tbsp white miso paste
Carrot Top Gremolata
½ cup carrots tops (the leafy parts)
½ cup Italian parsley
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp lemon zest
¼ tsp salt
⅓ cup olive oil
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Drizzle of olive oil
Pinch of salt and granulated garlic
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions.
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, cashews, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the miso paste, remove from heat, and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the carrots have cooled slightly, transfer to a high speed blender. Begin blending on the lowest setting then gradually increase speed and blend until silky smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pot, and stir in the sauce.
- For the gremolata, place the carrot tops, parsley, lemon zest, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the salt and olive oil and pulse a few more times until everything is incorporated.
- Place the panko in a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat, add a pinch of salt and granulated garlic. Cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the pasta between bowls, sprinkle with the toasted panko, and spoon some of the gremolata over the top.