|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 12 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 12 hrs 30 mins|
2 lbs brisket
1 jar banana peppers
15 oz beef broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
Mac n' Cheese
1 ½ cups dried elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup whole milk
6 tbsp butter
1 pinch salt
¾ cup flour
2 eggs beaten with 1 tbsp water
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups oil, for frying
Fresh parsley, for garnish
Stonewall Buffalo Aioli
- Start by preparing the brisket: Combine the banana peppers (with juices), beef broth, and minced garlic in a saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced by about half. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Season the brisket generously with salt and pepper.
- Inject the brisket with about half of the reduction and refrigerate overnight.
- Smoke the brisket for 8-10 hours at 225°F.
- Remove from the smoker, double wrap with foil and add the remaining reduction.
- Smoke for another 4-5 hours, until the brisket reaches an internal temperature of 205°F.
- Remove from the smoker, shred the meat, and set aside.
- To prepare the mac n’ cheese, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 cup milk. Whisk until smooth then add another 1/4 cup milk.
- Return the pot to heat and whisk in the remaining milk.
- Increase heat to medium-high and continue whisking until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese, stirring until completely melted. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni noodles, mix well, and set aside.
- Add the shredded brisket to the mac n' cheese, mix well, cover and refrigerate until very cold.
- To assemble the balls, scoop golfball sized balls of the mac n' cheese mixture (an ice cream or large cookie scoop works perfectly) and shape into balls using your hands. Place onto a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining brisket mac n' cheese and place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the oil to a large, heavy bottomed pot and heat over medium heat until it reaches 360°F.
- While the oil heats up, place the flour, egg mixture, and panko in three separate shallow dishes. Season the panko with the dried parsley, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and dip each into the flour, then the egg mixture, then the panko, pressing lightly to coat.
- Place half of the balls back into the freezer (or fridge) while you fry the first half.
- Fry 4-5 balls at a time in the hot oil for about 3 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly golden brown.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Dip them in the Aioli sauce, garnish with fresh parsley.