|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr|
1 ½ cups yellow lentils
3 cups water
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup cilantro
Juice of 1/2 a lime (or lemon)
2 tsp green curry paste
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp mixed spices (such as berbere or ras el hanout)
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cayenne
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
Cast iron pan
- Combine the lentils and water in a large pot and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the coconut milk, green curry paste, lime juice, cilantro, spices, and sugar. Mix well.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the chapati, combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Slowly stir in enough water to form a thick dough.
- Knead the dough on a flat surface for several minutes, adding a few pinches of flour if very sticky.
- Return the dough to the bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large cast iron pan with oil.
- Divide the dough into about 8 balls and flatten to about 6" in diameter and 1/4" thin. Fry each one in the cast iron pan, turning once, until each side is golden and spotted.
- Serve the chapati alongside the lentils and enjoy!